For each unit, one student is chosen to rep a word during that unit. For example, in Unit 1 of Level Turquoise, Marcus might be the word rep for the word Earth, and Carina might be the word rep for the word peak. The word reps would spend time making sure that they deeply understand their one word so that they can serve as the class expert on that word. You may want to assign the words to the reps a few days before you begin the unit so they have time to learn about them.
The word rep who has the word that most students get correct on a test could earn a prize. The word rep could earn extra credit for his or her work, you could put up a picture of the rep next to his or her word, or, simply, you can make the word rep a position of pride in the classroom by giving the rep some of these important and fun duties:
- Singing out the line with their word when listening to the rap
- Coming up with clever ways to help other students remember the word
- Wearing a pin with that word
- Designing the index card for that word on the word wall in his or her own style (as long as it is legible)
- Writing new lines of rap that help students remember their words